Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Book Review: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls was imagined by Siobhan Dowd and written by Patrick Ness.

Book Description
At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting— he’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It’s ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth.

From the final idea of award-winning author Siobhan Dowd— whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself— Patrick Ness has spun a haunting and darkly funny novel of mischief, loss, and monsters both real and imagined.

A Monster Calls is a beautiful, powerful, imaginative, and heart shattering tale of a thirteen year old boy coping with a seriously ill mother.

A Monster Calls is by far the best book I have read all year and in a really long time. In fact, it's one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life.

I got an egalley of A Monster Calls from Candlewick Press, but I just ordered a hardback copy for all of the brilliant illustrations.  I can't wait for it to arrive so I can read it all over again.

A Monster Calls is an absolute must read.  I cannot recommend it enough.

10/10: Awesome

Review copy provided by publisher

Jennifer

Subscribe: rss Follow: twitter goodreads Contact: email

8 comments:

  1. This sounds really cool! I've seen a bunch of good reviews on the book. I'll be sure to check it out.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of it, but now I'll be buying it today before work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really great! I'm going to put it on my wish list :)

    YA: Cheat, Liar, Coward, Thief, Thug
    Adult: Shackled

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard SUCH AWESOME things about this book!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giselle - That's great. I know this book will be loved!

    Hi Peter! How was Bouchercon? I hope you love A Monster Calls as much as I do. I read the premise and assumed I'd like it... I had no idea what wonders awaited me. (I wish I could scrub your brain so you aren't going into it knowing it's brilliant.)

    J - It's as great as it looks. I can't wait to really "look" at it in hardback form. The illustrations look pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ashley - I was replying when you posted. ;) It's all true!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, Bcon walked the middle of the road for me. On once side it was great (meeting Jerone ten Berge and Blake Crouch and a few others) while I thought the Con itself could have been arranged a little better.

    Picked up the book yesterday. Going to read it next. It looks and sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, high praise! And I still need to read his Chaos Walking series!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Twitter! RSS Feed Email Me! Friend Me on Goodreads! Follow Me on Instagram!

 
Powered by Blogger