Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year! Reading Resolutions and Challenges

Happy New Year everyone! Reading has been a resolution of mine for as long as I can remember. Every year I resolve to read at least 50 books. I think roughly a book a week is an active and considerable amount. This past year I managed to read 76. There is no doubt that blogging is a fantastic tool to meet that goal.

This year I'm going to join a few challenges that line up with my personal reading resolutions.




I joined the Goodreads challenge again this year. I realize that I read 152% of my goal last year, but I'm going to keep my goal at 50 again this year. My intent isn't to read more and more each year, it's to remain an active reader.




Evie from Bookish is hosting a TBR pile challenge. This is a challenge I need. I own so many books I haven't read yet. A lot of them were purchased as "must reads", too. I know this challenge will be even tougher for me now that I am blogging and seeing new books every day that I want to read.

Photobucket

The truth is - I suck at challenges. Midnyte Reader's Dusty Volumes challenge did actually help me last year, though. I try to mix in the classics each year, and last year I had to challenge myself. I didn't read all the ones I had planned since I reread The Lord of the Rings instead, but it did keep me on task for Frankenstein at least.

I haven't decided which Dusty Volumes I will read yet. Last year I meant to read A Stir of Echoes and I Capture the Castle. Maybe I'll get to those. I do plan to reread To Kill a Mockingbird again this year.

How about you? Do you set reading resolutions for yourself each year?

Jennifer

Subscribe: rss Follow: twitter goodreads Contact: email

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a reading goal, but I do have a writing goal! I plan to pen .5M words this year ;) If I write around 2k/day, 5days/week, I should stay on task! Let's see how I do :)

    (And of those 500,000 words, I plan 120,000 of them to be NEW IH episodes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am keeping the same goal also, I don't need to read more but definitely want to continue at the level I am. 50 is my goal and I read 60 this year.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing the TBR pile one to. I don't know my bookshelf got so crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JEM - Woohoo! More IH! :) That's an awesome goal. That's a lot of writing.

    Marce - You and I have similar time constraints and responsibilities being working moms of such young children. I think we are rocking our reading goals for sure!

    Alexis - I think you were the first one to point me to that TBR challenge. :) There are just too many books I am always dying to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My resolution is to read whatever the heck I want!! :)

    I'm reading Empire State. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    And HAPPY NEW YEAR, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew - That is an awesome resolution! :) I'm going to try to do more of that myself this year. Please let me know what you think of Empire State.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! How could I not have commented! Anyway, welcome to the Challenge Jennifer and I hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Twitter! RSS Feed Email Me! Friend Me on Goodreads! Follow Me on Instagram!

 
Powered by Blogger