Thursday, September 20, 2012

Book Review | Blackwood by Gwenda Bond

Blackwood is the debut novel of Gwenda Bond.

You might recall the story of Roanoke Island and the Lost Colony from your history classes. Somewhere around 120 people (114 for the purposes of this story) vanished from the English settlement on Roanoke Island. The only clue as to what happened to the colonists was the word "Croatoan" carved into a tree.

In Blackwood, Miranda's family lives on Roanoke Island. When 114 people vanish again (as well as Miranda's father), a boy named Phillips returns to the island to help Miranda solve the mystery of what has happened to the new "Lost Colony".

Phillips and Miranda's relationship is a typical YA romance, but it develops throughout Blackwood without taking focus away from the mystery.

Overall, Blackwood was an enjoyable read for me. I enjoyed the take on the Roanoke disappearances and the paranormal elements behind the curse of Miranda's family. There were quite a few pop culture references in Blackwood. Some of them, unfortunately, were lost on me like The Vampire Diaries, but you can't beat a Sydney Bristow reference.

I was also pleased to discover Blackwood is a stand alone novel. I usually get blindsided with a big cliffhanger at the end of most YA books, but I was pleasantly surprised to get a complete, stand alone story.

If you enjoy YA paranormal mysteries, you will probably enjoy Blackwood and it's historical twist.

6/10: Good read

Speaking of The Vampire Diaries, my mom is trying to get me to start watching it. Should I? She has all of the DVDs, and she keeps trying to pass them on to me. I see a whole lot of #TVD on twitter. :)

Jennifer

Subscribe: rss Follow: twitter goodreads Contact: email

5 comments:

  1. the Lost Colony scares and terrifies me and because of that I'm fascinated by it! haha. I really want to read this one I only learned what it was about recently. Also, I love the Vampire Diaries! I vote for yes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I love anything Roanoke related and have been looking forward to the release of this one. It's definitely down on my must have list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even remember the last stand-along YA book I've read, how crazy is that? They all seem to be series now, which I enjoy, but sometimes it's nice to know you're going to reach the end and actually have a conclusion:) Lovely review Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot all about the mystery of Roanoke Island (now I'm curious and will have to Google for more tidbits lol). Anyhoo, Blackwood sounds very interesting and I'd like to read it!! So glad you enjoyed it, Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would be willing to give this one a try based on its standalone nature. It isn't often that you get a complete story in a YA story.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Twitter! RSS Feed Email Me! Friend Me on Goodreads! Follow Me on Instagram!

 
Powered by Blogger