Monday, February 11, 2013

Currently Reading | A Game of Thrones

At some point I will catch up on reviews, but in the mean time I am loving my no-plan year of reading. I'm just picking up whatever sounds great at the time. Last week I enjoyed an Urban Fantasy book called The Rook by Daniel O'Malley. I really didn't know what it was all about going into it, but when The Man Eating Bookworm says to read something, I've been known to read it.

Now I'm about a third of the way through A Game of Thrones. I'm surprised how good it is. I was worried everyone loved it just because they love the show, but it really is a great read so far. I imagine I will get sucked into the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Have you read A Game of Thrones? Do you watch the show? A friend gave us the first season on DVD but we've only had time to watch a few episodes. It's definitely not one I can watch with my three little munchkins around.

I have no idea what I'll pick up next, but I'm in the mood for something scary. I tried to read Gretchen McNeil's Ten, but it was not for me. I think I'd be better off picking up the Agatha Christie original instead.

Have a great week! Be sure to let me know what you are reading this week (or leave me a link so I can visit!).

This post is being shared as part of Book Journey's It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Jennifer

Subscribe: rss Follow: twitter goodreads Contact: email

14 comments:

  1. I was surprised to find that I loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I LOVE GAME OF THRONES! I actually tried to read it about seven years ago and couldn't get into it. Now that I'm older, I decided to give it another try and I am a little obsessed. I have book five in my TBR and will be super bummed when I finish.

    We do watch the show as well and enjoy it just as much as the books. I like them as a pair, though. You don't get any of the wonderful and intricate worldbuilding in the show with the history of the families, the battles, and the mythology. But the case and production of the show is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to send my kids to grandma's so I can watch it! I wasn't even sure how many books were out in the series. I have a lot ahead of me to enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of the Game of Thrones series...YET ;) I will get around to them one day! Have a great week of reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh NO! I read Game of Thrones way long ago - before it was turned into a series. I loved it, though it was a bit ....I think I ended up feeling that things were so hopeless for everyone...but the guy can write. He can write a very good book that you don't want to put down. Not sure why I haven't read more of him...I think I really ended up liking urban fantasy novels a whole lot. :) Good choice there.

    Have fun with your non-goals... I like that. Being a person who seems to rebel at goals, and then ultimately fail them. ;) However, reading what ever catches my eye is pretty much how I've managed my reading my whole life. Just what ever looks interesting. I however, seem to go in phases...I have a Sci Fi phase, then UF, then SciFi again....etc. It all works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mardel, reading in the moment is really the very best way to read. At least, it is for me!

      Delete
  5. I intend to pick up Game of Thrones sooner or later. They are just so massive that I get a bit intimidated!
    I hope you enjoy the rest of the first book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are massive, but this first one is reading a lot faster than I expected so they are starting to seem less intimidating.

      Delete
  6. I finally broke down to read the books when the show came out, because I wanted to watch it. But, book first has always been an unspoken mantra for me. GoT was incredibly addicting. I read them straight through number 4. While I found 1-2 very gripping, it started to slip on 3 and I was quite bored with 4. I actually dropped the series before reading Dance with Dragons because 4 bored me so much. I imagine I'll finish it sometime, but will I ever finish collecting the books? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was worried the same but you set my fears aside. I need to get to this one for real now.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Twitter! RSS Feed Email Me! Friend Me on Goodreads! Follow Me on Instagram!

 
Powered by Blogger